Don’t leave for Italy without your Florence Arrival Cheat Sheet! It contains helpful information about navigating the airport, immigration requirements, getting to campus, and NYU Florence address and contact information. Please provide a copy of this document to your parents.
Customs in Italy is very strict and there are items that you should avoid or limit when shipping. Please reference the Mailing Advice document to review important information on sending packages to NYU Florence.
Don’t waste space in your suitcase by packing bedding and linens! This is provided by NYU Florence. If anything you may want to bring an extra towel for weekend trips or to have a spare. You will only receive one towel in Florence. If your residence has a kitchen (on campus residences do not) it will come stocked with pots, pans, dishes, and cutlery.
You’ll be on a plane before you know it. Take a minute to look through this final checklist to make sure that all of your bases are covered –
- Get your student visa and secure Permesso documents
- Register for 12 – 18 credits
- Pay your NYU e-Bill
- Register for HTH and print out the confirmation card
- Notify your bank and credit cards that you will be abroad
- Have all medications you may need for the full term (or have a plan to get remainder)
- Make photocopies of your passport/visa, ID, and cards (bank, credit card) and leave one copy with your parents and bring a set with you in your carry-on
- Register with the Moses Center
- Print and review the arrival information emailed to you by our site staff.
- Cancel NYU in NYC housing if you have not already
- Write down all important phone numbers including those listed on the contact page (your phone may not work)
- Submit Medical Forms to the Health Center
- Complete NYUTraveler
- Review the Pre-departure Orientation Presentation
- Set up a communication plan with the parents
- Have some cash on hand to get you through the first few days (you can exchange at the airport if needed)
- Bring your flight confirmation print-out to the airport
- Check the luggage restrictions for your airline before you pack
- Set up a budget
- Bring a copy of prescriptions (medication, eyeglasses, etc.) and carry it with you in your carry on
- Pack a carry on with all important paperwork, phone numbers, medications, and a change of clothes
The following documents are required in Florence for your Permesso di Soggiorno.
– 3 clear photocopies of your valid passport picture/information page/signature (all students, regardless of nationality)
– 4 clear photocopies of your valid student visa (except European Union citizens)
– 1 copy of all the other pages of your passport, including the cover (except European Union citizens)
– 4 identical passport photos (except European Union Citizens). Photos must be identical to one another and do not need to be identical to the photo used in your passport or visa application.
– The returned stamped-validated paperwork from the Italian Consulate that you originally submitted to the Italian Consulate or Embassy for your student visa application
If you applied for your visa through the Office of Global Programs in New York, I have submitted all of the above documents for you with the exception of 4 identical passport photos. All students are responsible for traveling to Florence with 4 identical passport photos.
European Union Citizens
You will only need to bring 3 clear photocopies of your passport signature/photo page and your two acceptance letters issued by NYU Global Programs. Your acceptance letters do not need to be consulate stamped.
All students will need their NYU ID cards while in Florence.
NYU students: You must bring your NYU ID card with you to Florence.
Visiting students: You will receive an NYU ID card once you arrive in Florence.
Coordinators at NYU Florence are working hard to send housing assignments for tomorrow, but there is a possibility that they will be emailed to students next week Monday. Thank you for your patience.